In this podversation:
I teamed back up with the incomparable LCDR Jamie Sorenson whom you might remember from Season 3 Episode 1- Why You Tried to Kill Yourself, to answer some really common relationship questions collected from listeners.
Two mental health practitioners for the price of one! And since we don't always agree, you're getting a pluralistic perspective on issues many are afraid to ask about.
- 2:52 - How do I know if someone is into me?
- 7:03 - What do I do about my partners jealousy?
- 13:04 - I want to have kids she does not. Can the relationship work?
- 19:10 - We just started dating and she already wants to spend less time together. What does that mean?
- 23:49 - How do we stop fighting over religion?
- 33:33 - Do you believe in soulmates?
- 38:58 - Am I ever going to meet someone?
- 43:54 - Do you have premonitions about a partner? Like the song …"I knew I loved you before I met you."
- 45:29 - What level of privacy is OK in relationships?
- 50:23 - I feel like I can't do things spontaneously like have a friend over or go out. I feel like I have to ask permission first and when do have people over or go out, I feel like I have to tip-toe around telling him this is what I'm planning. If we don't talk about it before hand he grumbles and then I feel like I have to tip-toe even more. How can I better approach this?
- 56:30 - "How to know when a partner’s request for photographic "material" becomes concerning. Is it ever normal, or is it a definite sign of sexual addiction?"
- 1:07:20 - "How do you best handle intimacy after taking a loving look at and un-packing trauma, when your ideas around it transform and change?"
- 1:13:09 - "My wife wants an open relationship and I want to complete fidelity. Should we get a divorce?"
- 1:24:30 - "I am poly curious (did I just make that up?), and husband says hell no and now I feel ashamed for even suggesting it. What now?"
- 1:25:50 - "Navigating your partner's jealousy and possessiveness as someone with a lot of muchness, who likes to share herself with others and have the freedom to share and receive unlabeled affection and intimacy with many people, not just one."
Additional Resources Mentioned:
Meet LCDR Jamie Sorenson
Jamie is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner who is currently serving as the embedded Mental Health Provider at Command Submarine Squadron 11 out in San Diego CA, providing mental health treatment, education, consultation and much more to all the of sailors and submariners attached to that division.
Her awards include the Navy-Marine Corp Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal, & the Navy Achievement Medal with one gold star. She also was also honored as the Psychiatric Advanced Practice Mental Health Nurse of the Year in 2013 by San Diego Psychiatric Nursing Society.
She wrote & published the book “Why You Tried to Kill Yourself” in 2017. Her newest book, "Single, Pitiful and Unlovable...Yeah Right!" is available on Amazon.
As if that weren’t enough, Jamie has completed over 80 whole/half marathons! She’s an avid traveler and animal lover.