She's an incredibly decorated Navy officer and she's on a mission to bring solution focused and super practical empowerment not only to the sailors and submariners attached to Command Submarine Squadron 11 out in San Diego, CA but to the rest of us as well.
LCDR Jamie Sorenson is the author of “Why You Tried to Kill Yourself” which is soon to be a series of fictional books decreasing stigma surrounding psychological and emotional distress as well as the intersection between spirituality and sexuality.
In this podversation:
- Why Jamie chose the Navy and then the field of psychiatric nursing
- Is there stigma around mental health in the military?
- How Jamie uses education to normalize common issues her service members face
- Exploring the 87% reduction in unplanned losses Jamie has helped bring about in her squadron
- Key issues military members face
- "Pain is what helps us grow."
- What should mental health workers know about working with military members?
- The Give An Hour program and other resources
- Why Jamie chose to write the book and also why she included LGBTQ issues
- The harm of reparative therapy for same sex attractions
- Finding social support for everyone from Mormons to Satanists and everything in between
- The intersection between spirituality and mental health