Just when you thought you knew what labels like autistic or asexual meant, Olivia James will challenge you to look closer. And then she'll make you want to advocate for something you love!
In this podversation:
- What is the Spoon Theory and how it applies to all of us
- The many sides of Autism
- The importance of getting a proper diagnosis
- Why the world needs BOTH awareness and acceptance; "acceptance relies upon awareness"
- "Sometimes advocacy needs to be pragmatic rather than idealistic."
- Unpacking what asexuality is and is not
- "Labels are as useful as you make them."
- "Replace 'being politically correct' with 'being kind and respectful'."
- How to get started with advocacy
- "The best thing to do with your biases is to own them"
- Why Olivia is NOT a social justice warrior but rather a social justice cleric
- How studying philosophy in college made Olivia depressed and how she came to turn that around
- The Super Serious Social Justice podcast
Meet Olivia James
Olivia is an autistic, asexual goofball who loves octopuses, cats, and rock climbing. Born and raised in the great Midwest, she went to school at a small liberal arts college and in the process discovered that too much philosophy makes her depressed.
She kicked the ass of an eating disorder, adopted some kittens, and found her true calling as a marketer in a local nonprofit (while writing, podcasting, and planning a wedding on the side).
When not working too much, Olivia can be found on bullet journal websites, listening to far too many podcasts, or playing a great deal of Dungeons and Dragons.
Connect with her further:
Blog - www.autofspoons.com & Podcast - www.sssjcast.com