Growing up in a dysfunctional family, Allison began her attempts to break toxic patterns at an early age.
Her path has lead her through multiple unhealthy relationships, career changes, religious experiences and life as a foster/adoptive parent. While she is still healing from wounds of her childhood, she currently has a life she never thought would exist.
She is now married to her soulmate, mother to three beautiful adopted sons, and helping others through her work as a Chiropractic Neurologist.
In this podversation:
- Allison's epiphany at age 12
- "We want to mess them up so they have THEIR problems NOT OUR problems
- The day Allison decided to cut ties with her family
- Dynamics of a narcissistic family system (e.g., scapegoat, golden child)
- Why adult children may still be "obeying" their parents
- How chiropracty healed many of Allison's somatic symptoms
- What it was like to live at home as a grown woman trying to finish her degrees
- The power of the mind-body connection and the illnesses that can result
- "If there is more than one way to perceive something, choose the way that makes you happier."
- How Allison and her husband came to adopt their three sons
- What it was like growing up in the shadow of her mother's stillborn daughter before her
- The empowerment that comes from realizing there's nothing you can do to make someone love you
- Dealing with the pushback and victim shaming
- Love is unconditional but relationships are not
Follow Allison's journey on her blog.