Let's be real - it's not easy dealing with cultural standards regarding beauty, body image and more!
So how does one maintain optimal health mind, body, and spirit? And is there really a connection between spirituality and eating??
My guest today is Dr. Nazanin Moali. She is a clinical psychologist and eating disorder specialist practicing in Los Angeles California. Together we dive deep into the world of culture, religion, psychology, and recovery.
In this Podversation:
- Nazanin's passion for helping women develop a deeper understanding of themselv es and their struggles
- How eating can be used as avoidance or distraction from feelings and why spirituality can help
- Why cross addictions are so common (e.g., disordered eating and compulsive sexual behaviors)
- Nazanin's journey to choosing eating disorders and sexuality as her specialties
- Crossover between perfectionism and compulsivity
- When normal tendencies with eating and handling stress go awry
- What parents can do to help prevent their children from developing eating disorders
- The importance of being aware of family genetic loading
- How dysfunctional it is to fit a "certain body image"
- Why we should focus on "strong and healthy"
- How to begin changing the dialogue on unrealistic body images
- Key statements to avoid when it comes to body image
- How spirituality can either help or worsen eating issues
- The potential pitfalls of spiritual fasting when it comes to disordered eating behaviors
- How romantic partners can best support one another if disordered eating is an issue
- Why nourishing mind, body, and spirit is absolutely vital to change
To connect with Nazanin further, please check out www.oasis2care.com and www.sexologypodcast.com
Tamara can be reached at www.aryatherapy.com and www.talesfromatrapezoid.com.